I talk about the belief system, a lot! How some beliefs are for our good while some hold us back. Some beliefs might look like they are helping us, but in reality, they are harming us. You have to seriously sit down with yourself and come to grips with the reality that you were wrong about it all along.
Once you have this realisation, let go of that belief, once and for all. It might hurt, it might bring some discomfort along with it but in the end, it is all worth it!
Mentioned below are 5 such beliefs that you should let go gradually.
- The belief that motivation lies outside of us.Most of us live in the belief that motivation should be gained from the outside. But the truth is that our motivation comes from doing the right things. When our efforts have meaning behind them, it motivates us to take the next step. So, love what you do and do what you love because it is only then, that you will feel motivated to do something without getting bored or tired. Only then will the motivation come from inside!
- The belief that others know what is best for you.Too many people listen to the noise of the world and get lost in the crowd. Find your own strengths and create meaningful experiences for yourself. Stop wanting to please everybody around you. Stop trying to copy the celebrities, what worked for them might not work for you. Stop listening to the biased opinions that others have of you. Stop paying heed to the uninformed advices that others give to you. Give yourself the space to listen to your own voice, your heart and your own soul. Nobody else knows you, better than you!
- The belief that faster is better. In our youth it seems like faster is better and so, all we focus on is ‘hustling’, hustling day in and day out. But the fact is that you can make a big difference in life, even if you can’t do it all at once. So don’t break your back today. Remind yourself that you can’t lift 1,000 pounds all at once. But you can easily lift one pound thousands of time especially when you spread the lifting over a series of days. Just remember, tiny, repeated and consistent efforts will get you there.
- The belief that you are at the centre of this universe.When we’re young, we all have the tendency to place ourselves at the center of everything, and see every outcome from the viewpoint of how it affects us personally. It makes us focus on the negatives more rather than feeling blessed about our lives. So whenever you feel stuck, try to shift your focus from your circumstances to the circumstances of those around you. When you see that someone else is happy in less than what you have, is when you will start being grateful for what you have.
- The belief that outer beauty is everything.Infatuating yourself with someone simply for what they look like on the outside is like choosing your favorite food based on color instead of taste. As they say, a beautiful body without a beautiful soul is merely a decoration. You can never sustain a relationship with someone who is good in looks but bad at behaviour. On the other hand, someone who is beautiful inside will make you glue to them by the beauty of their actions. The innate, invisible, unquantifiable characteristics are the ones that create lasting attraction.